Lauren Hodson | June 2017
Creative Experience: Sketchbook Challenges
Need some new sketchbook ideas? Try Sketchbook Challenges! They are perfect for building your students’ creative skills in a low-stakes way that can be a personal collection of their own artistic and academic growth.
What are Sketchbook Challenges?
They are collections of artistic prompts to get your problem-solving creative juices flowing in short exercises while building skill-sets and creating a pattern of “making” every day. They can easily give your students new sketchbook ideas to run with and eliminate the question of “what do I write/sketch/draw next?”
These challenges typically tackle drawing skills, but they can also include photography, painting, printmaking, etc. So find one, or a collection of challenges, to spark a daily practice! For an example of these, check out my Pinterest board of sketchbook ideas HERE.
The Benefits: Sketchbook Challenges can…
- They can hold you accountable for doing something creative every day. This creates a habit of artistic accomplishment and builds confidence in the practice.
Be Time Flexible
- You can work on a project for as little or as much time as you’d like
- If you like pen and ink drawing over painting, the challenges still work for you. Use the medium of your choice or challenge yourself with one that you’ve never tried before.
- These challenges might start out simple and then inspire you to complete a more complete project with more time and detail. I’ve developed some of my most interesting lessons from sketchbook challenge prompts.
- You can look at a few challenge examples from online resources and pick your favorites. Put them together on your own for a personal challenge that only includes prompts that you are interested in.
“Drawing is putting a line around an idea.” -Henri Matisse
More Sketchbook Ideas
Sketchbook Skool Blog: This site is a fantastic collection of ideas, tips, tricks, and inspiration. If you get really into it, they offer classes as well. Co-founded by Danny Gregory, who brings humor and freedom to those who are creative and those who need more creative confidence.
Education Closet Links
- Reignite Your Creativity; Challenge Yourself HERE
- Creative Mindfulness: Using Visual Art to Cultivate Zen in the Classroom HERE
- 10 Ways to Inspire Creativity with Everyday Things HERE
Challenge yourself and stretch your artistic skills. Try new things! Try new techniques! Have fun with it!