Share the love this year and use creativity to make fine art inspired Valentine’s Day cards for the community!
Looking for a way to incorporate the excitement of Valentine’s Day, while modeling compassion and integrating fine art techniques? Then you have come to the right place.
Today, I’m using an American artist named Jim Dine as inspiration to provide ideas for spreading love throughout your community, and you’ll find a resource round-up for Valentine’s Day card ideas.
Fine Art And Art History Connection
Jim Dine, an American artist, in the Pop Art movement, created many works with hearts as the main subject. Pop Art often used symbols and iconic images found in popular culture.
Jim Dine Biography Links:
Jim Dine’s Heart Artworks:
- “Four Hearts” 1969
- “Welcome Home Rare Birds” 1969
- “Hearts in the Meadow” 1970
- “The Philadelphia Heart” 1984
- “Rancho Woodcut Heart” 1982
- “Blue Heart” 1988
- “Old Heart Many Years Later” 2001
Visual Arts Concepts
- Color Theory – Warm, Cool, Primary, Secondary, Complementary, Monochromatic
- Texture – Visual and Physical
- Pattern – repetition of a shape or form
- Symbolism – the art of using symbols to express something invisible or a feeling
Ways to share your heART
Find unique places and people to give your Valentine’s Day Artwork. They should go to anyone you want to show appreciation and love for. Sometimes it is fun to take a walk around the school and hide them in places where people can find them throughout their day.
More Ideas for Sharing…
- Senior Citizens in your family or in a facility.
- People in a hospital. Nurses, patients, or doctors.
- Deployed Military Personnel or Veterans
- School Staff and Faculty
- Bus Drivers
- Animal Shelters
Heart Project Ideas – Resource Roundup
- Valentine’s Day Notans by Nic Hahn and Mini Matisse
- Paper Heart Woven Baskets
- Scissor Practice Paper Heart Cards
- Jim Dine, will you be my Valentine?
- Jim Dine Hearts with cray-pas
- Jim Dine Meets Pablo Picasso in these Cubism Hearts
- Heart Prints with coffee filters and markers
- Shaving Cream Heart Prints
- Toilet Paper Roll Heart Prints
How do you spread the love throughout your community? Let us know in the comments below!
Lauren Hodson is a middle school visual and computer art educator in Plymouth, Massachusetts. As a mentor teacher and professional development presenter, Lauren is passionate about creativity and making art accessible for everyone. Her passions in STEAM and Arts Integration are at the root of her goal to collaborate with classroom teachers everywhere.